A month-long inaugural GEORGE TOWN FESTIVAL, in conjunction with the 2nd anniversary of George Town as a UNESCO World Heritage Site on July 7th.
The festival will feature over 80 programs to promote ARTS and HERITAGE in Penang with the concerted effort of the Penang State Government, Municipal Council of Penang Island, George Town World Heritage Incorporated, Penang Global Tourism and the various communities of Penang.
Scheduled to be an annual event, the George Town Festival opens as a feast of theatre, music, dance, film, art, opera, food, fashion, photography, and inspirational talks. The festival will have an approximate reach-out audience of 200,000 people.
- STREET CELEBRATION on 7th July: “Streets Come Alive – Unforgettable George Town”
- CHINESE OPERA performance by internationally acclaimed director of Beijing opera, Ghaffar Pourazar
- PUBLIC INSTALLATION ART by New York based Malaysian artist, Leon Lim, and Penang based artist Fuan Wong
- FILM SCREENING of movies shot in Penang including The Blue Mansion and Red Kebaya with appearances by directors Glen Goei and Ramli Hassan
- THEATRE PRODUCTION, Emily of Emerald Hill, directed by Malaysia’s foremost film director Saw Teong Hin (known for his acclaimed local film – Puteri Gunung Ledang) starring Neo Swee Lin, Pearlly Chua, and Leow Puay Tin
- DANCE PERFORMANCES, including “Vision of Forever”, a classical Indian dance by Ramli Ibrahim and Sutra Dance Company
- STREET OPERA PERFORMANCE by Japanese soprano, Ranko Kurano
- GEORGE TOWN BALL presents Patrizio Buanne, an internationally acclaimed singer from Italy
- EXHIBITIONS, including “Governors of Penang”
- SHOWCASE of Malay Culture & Arts
For more details, call 016 – 4644211 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Visit us at www.georgetownfestival.com